The Aeropress is an innovative brewing tool that has been widely popular among coffee enthusiasts in recent years. It’s been hailed as the best way to make cold brew.
This article will show you how to make a cold brew with the Aeropress and the practical steps involved in making it.
Alan Adler invented the Aeropress in 2005. Since its introduction, it has become prevalent among coffee enthusiasts. You can make both hot coffee and cold brew coffee with Aeropress.
It is excellent for iced lattes and cold brew coffee. The difference between these two drinks is that cold brew takes typically 24 hours or more to drip into the finished product.
This gives it many characteristics of an iced latte but with more body, less acidity, and caffeine content than a latte.
It also has a unique earthy flavour because it comes from decaffeinated beans ground only with coarse grounds without getting filtered or enhanced in any way.
I'll also explain some of the essential ingredients you will need for your cold brew recipe and how to equip yourself for brewing using this inverted method properly. Let's get started!
What ingredients are required?
The ingredients you’ll need are coffee, water, a filter such as a paper coffee filter or a metal mesh filter. You will also need something to cover your brewer and something to hold up the brewer.
In most cases, people use the Aeropress itself as the holder that presses down on the brewer.
The water is essential. If you don’t use water that has been filtered or purified somehow, it may not be suitable for your health because there will be trace amounts of chlorine and other chemicals in it from your tap water.
The coffee you use is also essential. You cannot just use any coffee beans or coffee grounds and expect a good result.
The best kind of cold brew is coarsely ground, dark roasted coffee beans, or specialty coffee like the French roast or Italian roast.
You can also use a fine grind of espresso as opposed to coarse grind size. You should try using different types of beans and see what works for you.
Brewing The Cold Brew Aeropress Coffee
Before you start making your cold brew, some prep work needs to be done. The most important thing is to clean all of the equipment that will contact the coffee beans or grounds.
This includes the Aeropress itself and your filter basket, filter, and container where you'll put the coffee when it's ready.
- Step 1: Measure out the coffee (20 grams) and grind it in a coarse setting. Grind it into the Aeropress itself or use some holder. Add the coffee according to your personal preference.
- Step 2: Turn the Aeropress upside down and add the coffee. It will sit at the bottom of the filter and act as a second filter. If you use a paper filter, this is not necessary.
- Step 3: Add room temperature water over the grounds and stir.
- Step 4: Put the paper filters in the filter basket and cover Aeropress.
- Step 5: Let it sit for 24 hours. Some recipes require 16 hours or different times. Long steep times make the coffee taste and smell better.
- Step 6: After 24 hours of steeping, flip the Aeropress and plunge the coffee into a jar or a container.
- Step 7: Once the coffee has settled, you can put the coffee in the fridge. You can drink it cold, but don’t freeze it.
- Step 8: Add ice water or cold milk to your cup and enjoy the following day. It will taste like an iced cold brew latte, without as much sweetness as one, but with more body than a regular coffee.
Enjoy your cup of cold brew!
Pro tip - You can keep the coffee in the fridge for up to a week. You can also increase the coffee concentration by increasing the steep time.
Decreasing the steep time will make it much lighter and more like an iced latte. Adding milk or ice water at a ratio of 2:1 of milk to coffee makes for good flavour and texture.
Clean your Aeropress with water and soap or hot water, and use a brush to scrub the filter. It will ensure that your brewer stays sanitary!
Cold-brew is an excellent drink for the summertime because it can be used as iced coffee or straight from the fridge.
I think this is a great way to enjoy a cold brew since you can have your drink ready in minutes, but I would recommend making more than one or two pots of cold brew at once because it might get messy.
If you have any tips for making this quick and easy, drop them below!
We hope you have enjoyed this article! By following these steps, you can make a great cup of cold brew using an Aeropress.