Try to find out how much Caffeine they contain and what exactly the ingredients are, and whether it is healthy or not?
The amount of Caffeine varies significantly between beverages and brands.
You know there is Caffeine in coffee, but you also should know how much Caffeine is in hot chocolate and how that compares to caffeinated coffee.
This article will guide you on Caffeine in hot chocolate vs coffee and some related information. Let's start.
In this Article
How much caffeine content is there in coffee?
According to the Mayo Clinic, "coffee is the most commonly consumed stimulant in the world." Coffee contains around 95 mg of Caffeine per cup.
The symptoms of caffeine overdose include insomnia, nervousness, muscle twitching, irregular heartbeat, dizziness, and high blood pressure. Signs like this should give you a head’s up as to how much coffee is too much.
How much caffeine content is there in hot chocolate?
Hot chocolate is one of the most eco-friendly drinks, as this concoction is made from just cocoa powder and water! And there’s no doubt that it tastes much better too.
You already know that drinking too much coffee can take a toll on your health. However, you should also be aware that there are several ingredients in hot chocolate as well. They are:
- Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder is made from roasted cocoa beans; when the core of the seed is removed, there’s a sticky substance called cocoa. The caffeine content of cocoa powder ranges from 4-6 milligrams per cup.
- Cocoa beans: Cocoa beans are both the seeds and the pulp of cocoa trees. The African variety of cocoa beans contains a lot more Caffeine than the one used to make chocolate. The only downside about the cocoa powder is that it’s filled with fat and sugar. The caffeine content in cocoa beans is 2.5% – 3.5%.
- Cocoa butter: Cocoa butter is what makes chocolate so good. Low in calories yet very nutritious, this ingredient helps to give chocolates thick consistency and taste good. A cocoa butter bar is perfect for those who want to reduce the number of calories they consume.
According to statistics, you would need 8-10 cups of this drink to equal the amount contained in just one cup of coffee.
These two drinks have some benefits of their own respectively:
Health benefits of drinking coffee
- It can help you stay awake and alert.
- It can help you keep focused in the long run.
- Coffee is known to make the skin look younger and more radiant.
- It does not cause heartburn, unlike other types of drinks that can lead to heartburn, such as white wine or chocolate.
- It can also lead to a reduction in your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Most people find that coffee can help them fall asleep at night.
Health benefits of drinking hot chocolate
- It contains healthy fats and proteins that are important for the body to stay healthy.
- Hot chocolate is an excellent source of antioxidants, which fight off free radicals and help to keep your body in good condition.
- It’s a great snack that you can consume before bed.
- You can drink hot chocolate any time of the day as its caffeine content is low compared to coffee, which can cause insomnia if you consume too much in one go.
- It contains magnesium, an essential mineral that helps to maintain a healthy heart and proper blood pressure levels.
Perhaps you are one of the people who are really into drinking coffee and hot chocolate, but if you are not sure which of the two is better for you, then it’s best to go for the one that is on the healthier side.
For example, hot chocolate is not only good for your health, but it can also help to make you feel better after a long day.
So, which drink is healthier?
Although hot chocolate contains a lot less Caffeine than coffee, it’s still going to give you a buzz. If you know that you have an addiction to coffee, you should consider drinking hot chocolate instead.
The caffeine dose in this drink is far lighter than the one in coffee and is still enough to provide a little bit of energy boost.
So, all in all, if you want a strong buzz, choose hot chocolate. But if you want a little energy boost, then coffee is the way to go!
Why do people still prefer coffee over hot chocolate?
Though most people know that coffee has some adverse effects on their health, they will continue to drink it.
People still like to drink coffee because it helps make them feel better, and the Caffeine in it keeps them awake and alert when required. Also, its aroma and taste are relishing and relaxing after a long day.
Although Caffeine can help you stay awake and alert, it can be addictive. In addition, if you drink it too much in a short period, it can cause your body to get so used to the caffeine intake that it will not produce as much of the chemical in your body.
It can cause your blood pressure to rise, and it can lead to a host of other health problems. Too much caffeine consumption can also increase your anxiety levels and make you more prone to headaches.
Hot chocolate is healthier than coffee, and why is that? The answer lies in the ingredients it has.
Cocoa powder is an excellent source of antioxidants, while cocoa butter helps give chocolates that rich consistency and taste.
So, in the battle between hot chocolate and coffee, which one wins? The answer is simple: if you don’t want to risk your health, you should go for hot chocolate.
It's not only going to give you a boost of energy, but it can also help you manage your weight and overall health too. You can also give decaffeinated coffee a try to see if you like it.
Whatever you choose, make sure that you buy the best quality hot chocolate or coffee product.
Have you switched to hot chocolate for your morning coffee? Or is it just a way of life for you? Share with us in the comment section below.