Coffee that is ground just before brewing is fresher, less exposed to oxygen and consequently helps to keep the coffee’s natural flavors from becoming bland and stale.
As a coffee lover, you might have wondered how to grind coffee beans at home and open the door for many other coffee-making tasks like French press brewing or coarsely ground espresso shots. No need to go out in search of a grinder; you can grind your beans at home, just on your own.
Fortunately, it is not as complicated as it may seem. If you want to learn more about grinding your own coffee beans without an expensive grinder, all you need to do is read this article!
You can easily create the texture and consistency of ground coffee at home without having to run out and buy a coffee grinder.
Here are the tips which you can use to grind your coffee beans without a coffee grinder. Let’s get started!
In this Article
- TOOLS TO GRIND COFFEE BEANS WITHOUT A GRINDER
- Method #1: Use a blender to Grind Coffee
- Method #2: Pestle and mortar
- Method #3: Rolling pin
- GRIND CONSISTENCY: HOW TO ENJOY YOUR FRESHLY GROUND COFFEE
- How do you grind coffee beans by hand?
- What can you use to grind coffee beans?
- Can I grind my coffee beans in a blender?
- How long does it take to grind coffee by hand?
- Are hand grinders worth it?
- Is hand grinder better than electric?
- Can I grind coffee beans in magic bullet?
- Can I grind coffee in a Nutribullet?
- Final Thoughts
TOOLS TO GRIND COFFEE BEANS WITHOUT A GRINDER
"When you're working with limited resources, you need to get creative. Look around your kitchen to see what might be lying around that could substitute a Grinder like:
- Pestle and mortar
- Hammer (or mallet/meat tenderizer)
- Rolling pin
- Hand mincer or garlic press
- Knife and chopping board
The goal of these tools is to turn the beans into grounds that can be used to brew a delicious cup of coffee. Make sure you grind the beans vigorously but avoid pulverizing them.
Method #1: Use a blender to Grind Coffee
Blenders are usually designed to help make smoothies, ice creams, and even chop up vegetables and fruits.
Using these blending devices for grinding coffee beans is an excellent idea that will help produce some amazing results.
Most blenders have stainless steel blades that can crush the coffee beans into small pieces effortlessly. It can be a slow way to grind the beans, but there are a lot of advantages.
- Blenders are super easy to use.
- The blades of most blenders are removable and can be cleaned easily.
- Blenders do not create a large amount of heat, so you will not have to worry about the coffee beans getting burned when grinding them.
- A blender’s blades won’t break off easily as they will with a grinder.
How should you use a blender to grind your Coffee beans?
Step 1: Pour a small number of coffee beans in a blender with the lid on.
Step 2: Turn the blender to low and slowly add in coffee beans.
Step 3: Continue to mix until all the coffee beans are ground, and you want a finer grind.
Step 4: Pour your newly ground coffee into your favorite mug or container. Enjoy!
Also, remember to check the following:
- Use fresh coffee beans
- Blenders have different blades that may cause you to grind your beans unevenly. So take your
time to get even grounds.
- Not all of the coffee will be ground finely, so make sure you pour your grinds before the
coffee becomes too powdery. You may even need to spoon it out if it gets too fine.
- You should not grind the coffee beans with more than what you have.
- Over-grinding them can create heat and make the coffee taste bitter.
- Do not grind a large number of beans at once. Instead, grind enough for one cup at a time,
otherwise, you will only end up with more ground beans than there actually are in the
coffee! If the coffee is too thick.
- Try adding some water to dilute it down. If your grinding is too coarse, try grinding again in
Method #2: Pestle and mortar
The beauty of this technique is that it is easy, cheap, and produces consistent results. You may have already encountered a pestle and mortar in your kitchen if you’re into cooking. It’s used to crush dried spices such as coriander, cloves, cardamoms, or peppercorns.
Using a pestle and mortar to grind coffee beans is a great idea. It will let you grind your coffee evenly and consistently without having to worry about the blade of the grinder getting chipped or broken in the process.
Most of these tools are usually made from marble, granite, wood, or porcelain material. They are very sturdy and can produce excellent results but they do have some limitations.
For one thing, you have to use a lot of power to grind the beans. If you aren’t strong enough, it might even cause you injury. And another thing is that pestle and mortar grinders can only be used for coarse grinding. You won’t be able to get fine grounds with these tools.
However, if you don't mind these limitations and errors, then this is the tool for you!
Here are the steps which you can follow.
Step 1: Fill your mortar halfway with coffee beans.
Step 2: Crush them using a pestle. Make sure you don’t make the whole thing powdery,
otherwise your coffee will end up tasting bitter and unpleasant.
Step 3: Pouring the ground coffee into your favorite mug or container.
Method #3: Rolling pin
Using a rolling pin to grind coffee beans is almost like using a pestle and mortar. Some people even claim it is better than using a pestle and mortar for grinding the coffee.
The rolling pin contains sharp edges that can easily crush the beans into small, fine pieces. Here are some of its advantages:
- Rolling pins are lightweight and portable which makes them ideal for grinding at home or
- They are very cheap, inexpensive, and easy to find. If you look around, you should be able to
find some at a very discounted price.
- Rolling pins can easily be improvised and used with a coffee grinder that is already in your
- Grinding coffee beans with this is much easier. You’ll be able to get even grinds in every
Here’s how to grind coffee beans using a hammer as a coffee grinder:
- Put the desired amount of beans, fill the ziplock bag, put a seal on it. Then, position the bag
on a sturdy surface.
- Start by holding the hammer in your dominant hand, and then press it down into the beans.
Hold on to the top of the ziplock bag tightly.
- Use smooth, rhythmic strokes, moving from left to right or vice versa.
- Once you feel like your grounds have reached your desired size, stop your hammering. Let
it settle for about a minute, then pour it out and store it in an airtight container.
Method #4: Hand mincer (or garlic press)
If you have no pestle and mortar, you can use a handheld mincer or garlic press to grind coffee beans. You can get a hand mincer from most grocery or hardware stores.
Before you start, remember to make sure that the tool is completely dry and free from any food particles or water. If the tool is wet, the blades will not be able to crush your beans evenly and one of them might even break off!
A hand mincer or garlic press can be used to finely chop food and substances like coffee beans.
Fortunately, Like coffee grinders; mincers, and garlic presses can generate extra coarse mixtures.
How should you use a mincer or garlic press to grind your Coffee beans?
Step 1: Put a few beans into the hand mincer or garlic press. Then, make sure you have a bowl
to catch the grounds.
Step 2: With all due force, hold the device or turn the crank until all your grounds are
Step 3: Repeat the grinding procedure over and over again
Method #5: USE A KNIFE!!
Do you want to use a knife to grind coffee beans? Certainly yes!
Using a knife to grind your coffee beans will give you the benefit of consistency. Basically, it is the same as grinding with a pestle and mortar, except that knife grinding should be much faster and more efficient.
That’s why we hope you will enjoy using a knife to grind your coffee beans. It is cheap, easy, and free from all sorts of potential issues that plague the other methods.
We are sure that it is the best way to achieve the desired consistency.
All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Put a few beans in your knife. Remember not to grind them on an uneven surface to avoid getting holes in the blade and maintaining consistent results. Remember, one side of your knife should always have a flat surface so you will be using this as a guide while grinding, but it can also be used as an aid for making your grinds even sized.
Step 2: Start grinding your beans starting from the tip of the blade. As you grind, make sure you keep a flat surface to guide and measure your grind. By doing this, you will get even-sized grounds right on the first try.
Step 3: Once your beans have been ground, put them in your coffee grinder and continue to make them finer.
Step 4: Repeat the process every time you want to make some coffee.
GRIND CONSISTENCY: HOW TO ENJOY YOUR FRESHLY GROUND COFFEE
Consistency is one of the biggest factors affecting the quality of your coffee. If you want to enjoy a cup of freshly ground coffee every day, consistency is a must.
There are three main factors that affect consistency. Here’s what they are:
- The Grind Size: If you want to enjoy a good cup of coffee, you have to make sure your grinds are consistent in size. You don’t want one part of it too fine and another part too coarse.
- The amount of Coffee Grinds: When you are making your coffee, the amount of it is also important in order to ensure a consistent flavor. For each cup you want to make, you need about 2 tablespoons of coffee grinds.
- The brewing time and technique: whether using a drip or percolator machine, consistency is important in the brewing process as well. Make sure that every cup you make is just like the other.
A consistent grind helps ensure that each cup you brew is as delicious as the typical coffee. An inconsistent grind has a tendency to extract grounds inconsistently, which results in an unpleasant taste.
How do you grind coffee beans by hand?
Grinding coffee beans by hand might seem like a complicated process, but it really isn’t.
If you want a quick and easy way to make your coffee, we recommend buying a grinder, however, if you have the time and the desire to learn how to grind coffee beans by hand, then it’s definitely an option worth considering.
The most important thing is that you must practice at making coffee by hand on a regular basis for about three months in order to get comfortable with the process.
What can you use to grind coffee beans?
You can use a mortar and a pestle to grind coffee beans by hand. This is the most traditional method of grinding in Asia and Africa.
In Europe, India, and Latin America, people prefer using a small hand-powered mill called a Molcajete or a Mexican metate.
Can I grind my coffee beans in a blender?
You can grind your coffee beans by placing them in a blender, however, you must be very careful when operating a blender. If you want to try this method, use a high-speed blender.
How long does it take to grind coffee by hand?
It depends on how many coffee beans you have and what type of grinder you use. With a mortar and pestle, it can take 15 minutes to grind coffee beans. Softer blends like Brazil Nuts mean it will take longer because they are often ground in smaller batches.
Are hand grinders worth it?
There are many different types and styles of hand grinders. Many of these can be very expensive, but there are also more affordable options available for you.
If you want to grind your beans just one or two times a week, a hand grinder is a good option. However, if you are using it every day, then we suggest investing in something that is easier to use like a high-speed blender.
Is hand grinder better than electric?
Hand grinders are not as powerful as electric grinders, and they can’t produce consistent grinds. However, many people like using hand grinders because the process is easy to learn and it takes up little to no extra space.
Can I grind coffee beans in magic bullet?
If you want to grind a small amount of coffee beans, then it’s a good option to try out. However, we wouldn’t recommend using this for grinding a large batch at once.
Can I grind coffee in a Nutribullet?
Yes, you can, but it’s not the best option out there. Nutribullet is a powerful blender that is easy to use. You can make your coffee in no time.
Opt for the grinder you like most and enjoy your freshly ground coffee every day. No matter what type of grinder you choose, you have to use it regularly. Use it at least twice a week to enjoy your freshly ground coffee in no time.
Start by trying a grind size that’s not too coarse nor too fine. Once you get used to this size, make sure that you repeat this process again and again until you recognize the consistency that works for you.
The most important tip about grinding coffee beans is patience. No matter what method you use, you have to be patient enough to invest a significant amount of time in order to get the best results.