Let us begin by understanding this: What is the cold brewing of coffee? Cold brewing is a process of extraction that uses cold water to brew coffee.
The resulting beverage tastes less acidic, i.e., with lower acidity and higher concentrations of some caffeine and other chemicals.
Cold-brew coffee can be stored in iced or refrigerated containers for three weeks without significant flavour degradation.
Now, let us understand if warming cold brew coffee is possible.
We cannot completely disregard the fact that if hot-brewed coffee can be served with ice, you can warm up a cold brew of coffee and serve it hot.
Therefore, yes, it is possible to warm up cold brew coffee. Although this sounds controversial, it is a practice followed around the world.
Warming a cup of cold coffee requires pouring hot water from a kettle into the cup filled with ice and cold brew coffee, both, and then stirring it well. This will give you a relatively better-tasting cup of hot coffee.
So you ask me, how can I make this taste more like good old hot coffee? The answer to this question is as follows:
The key here is the quality of the water. Use filtered water instead of tap water. Filtered water will ensure that you get the desired taste and quality of coffee.
If you want to go the extra mile, you can add milk or cream and sugar to it and achieve a taste closest to conventional hot brewed coffee.
Here are some tips that might interest you: Always use fresh, cold brew coffee.
The temperature of the water is crucial in improving the taste. Therefore, make sure the hot water is not too hot and cold when added to the cup containing ice and cold brew coffee.
Cold-brewed coffee tastes best when served around 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit).
In this Article
WAYS/STEPS TO HEAT IT UP
- Pour cold-brewed coffee into a mason jar and keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. You can heat it in the microwave later.
- Prepare your cold brew coffee as you usually do by steeping the ground coffee and cold water together for 12-24 hours (overnight). Refrigerate after that.
- Heat a cup of water and pour it into a preheated cup containing the cold brew coffee. Stir well to mix well. It is the freshest method we recommend as an alternative to pouring hot water into cold coffee iced beverages.
- When you finish preparing, put a piece of aluminium foil behind the cup where you made the coffee to keep it warm. If you pour your coffee from a cup into an iced glass, make sure both are heated up before drinking. Stirring it will slightly warm up the drink too.
- Once you complete the above steps, you may add a splash of warm milk at your convenience, although the warm cold brew tastes much better when diluted with just water. It tastes sweeter and full-flavoured.
- Remember, DO NOT heat it on a stove or have it microwaved for too long, as the chemical reactions may cause the coffee to taste extremely unpleasant or sour.
- Cold brew coffee is less acidic and caffeine-rich than other coffee. While it may taste a bit sweet, you might ﬁnd that it is not as intense as the actual hot brewed coffee.
- You might also want to buy iced coffee drinks from the grocery store to have a similar taste.
- Cold brew coffee does not keep well after being served for a week (although it tastes better if you drink it within a day or two).
- The acidity of coffee varies depending on the exact type of coffee beans you use.
- It won’t significantly alter its acidity if you warm up cold brew coffee by diluting its concentrate with hot water.
You may also try this.
- You can use the same brewing method for regular cold brew, except steep it with more coffee and less water. This should make a more robust cup of coffee. You can then dilute it with hot or cold water at your convenience.
- Unfortunately, we cannot advise on this since there are so many variables that affect the taste of a cup of coffee. For instance, the ratio of water to beans, type of beans used and how fresh they are, how long you leave them to steep, etc., all play an essential role in determining flavour when making cold brew coffee.
- Using fresh beans is crucial for making flavorful coffee using any method.
The above steps are applicable for most brewing methods except French press and vacuum brewing methods for which there are no ways to heat up a cold brew of coffee.'
And the next time you visit Starbucks and want a cup of hot-cold brew, mention this:
- pour cold-brew concentrate
- dilute it with hot water (not cold)/(not ice)!
Can you heat up cold brew coffee in the microwave?
Yes, you can heat up cold brew coffee by microwaving it. You can even add milk to hot-cold brew coffee.
Heat a cup of water and pour it in a glass with cold brewed coffee. Stir well and drink immediately.
Can cold brew coffee be used for hot coffee?
Yes, you can. Just add hot water to cold-brewed coffee and dilute it with hot water. Heat it up by microwaving it or keep it at an ideal temperature of 50 °C (122 °F). You can even add sugar or sugar substitute to make a sugar-free cold brew coffee.
Does heating cold brew coffee make it acidic?
No, it doesn’t. It’s exactly the same as hot brewed coffee.
Do you drink cold brew coffee hot or cold?
If you want to drink cold-brewed coffee hot, we recommend warming it by stirring in hot water. If you like your cold-brew coffee iced, then just put it in the fridge.
Does cold brew have more caffeine?
Cold brew coffee is less acidic and caffeine-rich than other coffee. While it may taste a bit sweet, you might ﬁnd that it is not as intense as the actual hot brewed coffee.
Is cold brew good hot?
Yes, you can heat up cold brew coffee in the microwave. You can even add milk to hot-cold brew coffee.
Can I heat up Starbucks cold brew?
Yes, you can.